Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Would anyone mind?

Do you think anyone would mind if I showed them all a video about Jesus?
Do you think anyone would shift uncomfortably in their seats? Do you think anyone would stand up and walk away? Do you think anyone's heart would start beating faster and faster and their face redden?

I do. Because mine certainly does when a video is shown mocking, teasing, insulting the man/god who I revere, who epitomised love.
And yet. That's okay. No, not only is it 'okay' and acceptable but encouraged, promoted and rewarded. The culture of this day says "If you want to be admired, seen as intelligent and cultured and open-minded, all you need to do is voice your opinion and add to the crowd's clamor that Jesus-followers are stupid, ignorant, blind and bigoted."


Where's the tolerance then? Where's the need to 'respect everyone's opinions?' Where's the open-mindedness then? Oh sorry. I forgot. That's only for Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, Mormons, Scientologists, Atheists, Agnostics, Jews (or maybe not, poor souls), and so on and so forth.
Somehow, I don't think anyone would dare show a video mocking Mohammad or the Muslim faith. And rightly so, because no-one's faith should be, but mocking Jesus? Oh please. That's old news.


I know this blog is usually about all things fashion, but I just had to get this out, or else some poor colleague will unknowingly be on the receiving end of my frustration.

No-one has to agree, or believe me, or even nod politely. All that's needed is a little reciprocal respect.

2 comments:

  1. Someone sent you a video mocking jesus?

    What a jerk! I'm not exactly the most faith sensitive person, and even I know that's not cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Not exactly, but some dude was making fun of what Christians believe, and throwing in some references to masturbation etc, to boot! Like, hello! lol thanks Crystal :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!